Monday, December 31, 2018

A Case for Some Optimism


I’m writing a blog entry to end a year where my feelings have been mixed. In many ways, this has been something of an optimistic year. As a Singaporean, I applaud my Malaysian cousins across the Causeway for having the courage to vote out the only ruling coalition they had ever known. It took 60-years but the Malaysians finally got fed up with the corruption of the Ruling Barisan Nasionalis and the constant embarrassment of the army of skeletons marching out of the then Prime Minister, Najib Razak’s closet.

I guess you could say it was a somewhat optimistic year on the global scale too.  Lil Rocket Man (Kim Jong Un) and the Dotard (Donald Trump) decided to meet in Singapore to patch up their differences, after weeks of hurling colourful insults across the ocean. Nobody seriously thinks that the North Koreans will keep their word and it wasn’t comforting that the Dotard was gushing with praise for the Lil Rocket Man after the meeting. The Dotard happily gave away his key advantages like cancelling military exercises with South Korea, while Lil Rocket Man only said he’d work towards disarmament. Still, in all fairness, the North Korea has been quiet.

So, while there are signs of worry, such as the trade conflict between China and the USA, there are signs of optimism that the world might actually be a better place

On the personal front, I’m glad to say that I remain happily married to an amazing, if somewhat stubborn woman. This was a good year for Huong and I to get closer and we remain dedicated to one common goal – making sure our little girl grows into a very special woman.

So, far things have been going ok for the Evil Teen. Her academic results were not good and I am a little disappointed that she’s decided not to continue with school. However, I am proud of her for showing compassion and dedication to family. When I’ve fallen sick, she’s seen to it that I have her concoction of honey and lemon and when I’ve had to work weekends, she makes it a point that I get up on time and have my coffee. As someone said on a Facebook posting, “The Evil Teen acts more like a Mum.”

The other highlight of the year on the family front was the visit of my baby brother, Christopher, who showed up in Singapore for a couple of days. It’s funny hanging out with him because I remember him as a baby and the best nick name, I had for him was “Fat Wat.” Well, there’s karma, because he’s now known in my social circles as “That Good looking guy” or “Your son.” He was like a rock star when I brought him to the Bistrot and he became the first member of my “international family” to meet my Vietnamese family.  Poor guy ended up being traumatized by members of my professional circle but I guess it’s good that your family understand the pool that you’re swimming in.

I had disappointments on the professional front. There was an opening in a venture capital firm run by former clients. I had hopped that I could join a more positive environment but, in the end, they felt that things may not have been a good fit and so the deal fell through.

There was also a chance to work with the successor of Polaris’s service business – Virtusa, which is run out the USA and listed on the NASDAQ. It would have been a brilliant opportunity. Managed to cobble together a decent enough coalition but unfortunately that deal fell through. I work on the premises that I might get lucky with them sooner or later.

Unfortunately, I’m spending less time at the restaurant these days. Day job has taken more time and I spend less time with the colleagues who have touched my heart. Unfortunately, there was some changes in that area. The owners wife, who is a model of professional incompetence or has a good bout of “Bosses Wife Syndrome” has been given more management control. Having said that, I do give her credit for showing surprising moments of kindness and decency to the staff.

I miss Andy Ting, the chef who made the most amazing meals in his spare time and I miss Raffey, the Kuya (Tagalog for Older Brother) who kept the service side running while I got the glory.

By day, I remain in liquidations. I remain grateful to Farooq Mann for keeping me in a job, which has helped me understand the nitty gritty of things like tax filings and keeping accounts. These are not skills I have but skills I understand are necessary to the essential everyday operation of any business.

I am grateful in this job for brining me to Dubai, where I had the opportunity to meet with Her Excellency Shaikha Al Maskari, Chairwoman of the Al Maskari Group. We had spent more than a decade sending each other Eid Greetings and I am honoured that we have moved our friendship beyond the greeting card stage. I look forward to more opportunities to meet with this woman who has done so much both in terms of business and to the benefit of humanity. I pray that in 2019, I will have more opportunities to share ideas with her.

While I have had the trappings of success, I don’t feel successful. It’s time for me to turn talk into action and I pray for the courage to do just that in this coming year.

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall