Monday, September 25, 2023

He Was Once a Refugee

 

One of the most interesting cross-cultural communications that Huong and I have had in the 12-years that we’ve been together has been on the issue of visas into certain places. I simply cannot understand why she’s willing to go all out to deal with the bureaucracy of getting into certain places. She’s currently trying to get into the USA and the paper work is, in my view, pointless. However, to her, dealing with the paper work is a small price one has to pay to get into the USA. For me, I always figured that with the exception of Bhutan, no place was worth going to if you had to wrestle with bureaucrats just to get in. I take France as an example. When I was in school in the 1990s, I refused to go to France. Every country in the EU allowed Singaporeans visa-free entry and I couldn’t see what the French had to offer that required a struggle with bureaucrats.

The difference in our attitude boils down to passports. I travel on a Singapore passport, which according to The Henley Passport Index for 2023 allows me to enter 193 countries without having to apply for a visa. The Singapore passport has the best of East and West. Our reputation is such that Western nations trust us enough that we’ll leave after a certain period to go back to decent paying jobs and nice homes, rathe than trying to stay illegally. We’re also Asian enough for places in Indo-China not to shake us down for visa fees when we enter. Say what you like about Singapore but I don’t have much incentive to leave. Whilst I am not rich by any means, I am earning a living in a decent enough currency and have access to decent enough facilities. If I move anywhere, its either for holiday or it’s got to be an amazing business opportunity.

Huong by contrast, travels on a Vietnamese passport, which according The Henley Passport Index for 2023, allows her to travel to 54 countries visa-free. While Vietnam has been an “up-and-coming” economy, life in rural Vietnam, where Huong was born, remains tough. Then you got to add in the fact that the Vietnamese Dong competes with the Iranian Riyal for the world’s lowest value currency on the planet, which means that even if there are jobs available, you’re going to look and feel poor compared to everyone else (I used to have that feeling with my friends in the UK when it was a three-to-one exchange rate in favour of the GBP to the SGD. No matter how many SGD I had, it always had to be divided by three for my British friends to understand). So, for Huong everywhere outside Vietnam is a place of prosperity.

I bring up the contrasting attitudes that Huong and I have towards visas because today is World Migrant and Refuge Day, which if you look at geopolitical events, has become especially significant. Think of things like the War in Ukraine, where people have been displaced and forced to flee because someone decided to grab their country.

Its also significant in Singapore. Despite being a nation that was built by migrants and people fleeing either economic deprivation or political persecution, we easily fall for the notion that “outsiders” from less developed places are out to get us. Take one of our “great” military achievements in the 1970s – turning away boats of refugees fleeing Vietnam. The only comment I got from someone who was part of this military achievement was “why didn’t these people stay and fight?” Erm, the world’s strongest military had just abandoned them and you expected them to stay and fight with?

I believe that I am not the only native-born Singaporean who has an inability to understand the need to leave your “homeland.” The general attitude that many of us have is that you couldn’t make it in your own country so you come to mine and want to rob me of my birthright. I remember a decently educated customer at the Bistrot using that precise argument to defend Donald Trump’s remarks on Mexicans being rapist.

Our position is a very privileged one. What we fail to recognize is that people like refugees fleeing economic deprivation or political persecution have a hunger to survive and thrive. What they are fleeing from is to them, so awful that they devote their energy to the host country and end up building the host country. I grew up in the UK where the “Pakis” (the generic term a lot of Brits use for South Asians. A good portion were not actually from Pakistan but Gujaratis from Africa) built corner shops and sent their kids to school and even into 10 Downing Street. The native Whites by contrast found gainful employment asking you for small change.

Then, we need to remember that the man that many in the “Anti-Refuge” and “Anti-Migrant” camp claim to worship was once a refugee. After her was born in a manger, he and his parents had to get him into Egypt as fast as they could. The reason was simple, Harrod the Great had decided to go on a child murdering spree.

https://www.amormeus.org/en/blog/106th-world-day-of-migrants-and-refugees/

 


 So, here’s the question. What would have happened to Western Civilization, which claims to be founded on “Judeo-Christian” principles had Jesus not been allowed to flee persecution? How does one claim to accept Christ as lord and savior yet at the same time see people fleeing persecution as a nuisance?

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall