Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Hunky After 40 During Covid 19


I’ve never been what you’d call a “gym-type.” The last time I went into the gym, it was back in the day when I was still married to Gina, which was some 20-years back. Exercise was limited to the compulsory physical fitness sessions I had to attend for failing to pass IPPT, the physical fitness proficiency test that is compulsory for all Singaporean men of military service age (Last time I passed was when I was still in full time national service). Getting fit was not my priority and I ballooned sometime in 2006. At one stage, my little Chinese frame had to carry around 99 plus kilos of weight.

So, given my rather distant physical relationship with the concept of physical fitness, I find myself at the age of 45 (not really old but definitely not young), being described by someone significantly younger with adjectives like “hunky looking” and “strongest one.” I was a little shocked to receive such descriptions and it took my sister to remind me that adjectives like “hunky” are not associated with men over 40 and I should just accept the compliment.

I bring up the story of my sudden bout of physical fitness because I’ve been busy helping my main client move boxes of documents to his home in preparation for Singapore’s Covid-19 “circuit” breaker, which has forced offices to close and people to work from home. This was an exercise involving lots of logistics and the only other person doing heavy lifting in the company is the same age as me. We, the “Old Farts,” became valued for our physicality. While its flattering to be known for your physicality after a certain age, it is a worrying inditement of the generations after you and hopefully this is sometime that “Covid 19” corrects.

The crux of the problem are actually good things. The increased availability in education and scientific progress reduced the need for human muscle to do a good number of jobs. Survival has moved from being the ability to escape being a predator’s lunch to earning a wage. Why should human life be put at stake on any given task when you can get a machine to do it.

There is, however, a downside. In the last 50-years, there has been a “stigmatization” against jobs that required a certain amount of physicality. This has been especially true in Singapore, which is a society obsessed with progress and status (which is a good thing in as much as our obsession with material progress has made us materially successful). I’m old enough to remember when parents and teachers used the threat of “sweeping the streets” to get us to study hard, get into a good university, which automatically lead to a well-paying job in an office.

We became so successful at getting our kids to study hard, get into university and a good office job that we found that nobody wanted to do jobs that required them to be anywhere outside an airconditioned office for more than an hour at a time. Singapore’s fabulously clean streets are inevitably cleaned by people from elsewhere. If you see a Singaporean in any of the “non” office jobs, they are usually very old, or crippled.

The situation was such that if you were a fit and healthy Singaporean with more than a primary school leavers certificate and happened to be working somewhere other than an office, people automatically assumed there was something wrong. I think of the “horny” aunties who assumed I was a former convict based on the fact that I was serving them in the Bistrot.

Nobody saw value outside the office. As far as Singapore’s average Joe was concerned, the Bangladeshi, Indian and Filipinos cleaning our streets and looking after our kids where bloody lucky and shouldn’t demand much money. Sad to say officialdom encouraged this attitude. When it came to discussing a pay raise for our ministers (average salary of $100,000 a month – the emphasis being on a month), the discussion was always about “talent attraction” or “talent retention.” When it came to talking about a pay raise for cleaners (average salary $1,000 a month) it was always about the need to “raise productivity.”

If there’s anything that “covid-19” does, I hope it shifts attitudes and people start to appreciate the value that people like cleaners, nurses and all sorts of humble jobs offer society. Covid-19 is bringing us back to basics. In the past few days, I’ve met with “professionals,” coming to grips with the fact that what they do is not an essential service. Suddenly the janitor is more valuable to society than the private wealth manager earning multiple times more. Hopefully, Covid-19 will get people like movie stars and sports stars understand that the multi-millions they earn are what Angelina Jolie calls “silly money,” and channel some what they earn to those lower down the food chain.
I am optimistic that we will beat this virus. I just hope that when we do, we remember the people who were kept us safe during vulnerable times. I’ve never said we should go out of our way to make people rich but I do think that its time that society stop begrudging people like cleaners the ability to earn a livable wage.

I would also ad that as much as I am flattered to be described as “strongest one” and “hunky looking” as I enter my later years, I hope the kids of today remember that being physically capable is not sometime you do for fun or as part of a fashion trend but an important part of having a life.

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall