Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The Lucky General


When asked about the qualities that he looked for in a general, Napoleon once said that he chose generals who were “lucky.” I’ve always thought of this quote whenever it comes to discussing the topic of success. Talk to enough people who have “made it” and they’ll tell you about their brains, hard work and sheer determination. They will never admit to having “luck.”

However, if you analyse the careers of the well to do, you’ll realise that somewhere along the line they had a lucky moment and they went for it with everything they had. Back when I had just left university, I was told by Hans Hofer, the founder of Appa Guides that the key thing that successful people understood was “chance.” A few years back, I blogged about it at:


I think of this blog post on luck because we recently lost our second Chief of Defense Force, Lieutenant-General, Ng Jui Ping. If you look at General Ng’s life story, you’ll understand that he was that most unique creatures – a person who knew how to be lucky and had a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Before I continue, I have to disclose that I am from the same formation as General Ng (Artillery). While I never met the man in person (he stepped down from being Chief of Defense Force, while I was still in basic military training), most of my senior instructors had worked with the man (In particular I reminded of Senior Warrant Officer Lim Seng Wah, who was his Battery Sergeant Major in the 20th Battalion Singapore Artillery). In later life, I would befriend a lawyer who served him from the shadows (an advisor he consulted even though he had engaged other lawyers). So, what I know of the General is only what I’ve read in the official press and from what people have told me about him.

My second qualification is that when I talk about General Ng’s “Luck,” I’m not referring to the number of battles he won. Singapore’s armed forces have never been tested in an actual war (though in fairness, our boys have been commended on peace keeping missions and Singaporean officers do make it to the top of their class in places like West Point and Sandhurst). When I talk about General Ng’s luck, I am referring to his personal career.

How was General Lucky? I guess the most obvious place to start was the fact that he was born and entered the civil service at a time when they were a little obsessed by paper qualifications from the Oxbridge Universities. After General Ng left the helm of the Singapore Armed Forces, all his successors were inevitably the same – super scale scholars with beautiful Oxbridge Degrees.
His luck extended beyond the timing of his birth and in his long career, he had the good fortune of being in situations where his skills could shine. These few lucky moments helped catapult him to stratospheric levels.

The first piece of good luck was the fact that he ended up becoming the mentor to a certain Officer Cadet (“OCT”) Lee. He was a good mentor and at his funeral, the OCT that he mentored told the world, ““I will remember him most from my own time in the army, when he was first my Commanding Officer, and later when I worked beside him – I learnt much from him as a leader and a colleague.”

The second piece of good fortune for General Ng came in 1991 when a Singapore Airline was hijacked on Singapore soil. While General Ng was already Chief of Defense Force (a level too high for people to expect him to be on the front line), he had the privilege of overseeing an actual mission (the type where people can die), that proved to be exceedingly successful. To date, the SQ 117 Hijack rescue mission is the one incident in the SAF where the troops showed they could perform in a “real” situation. This very incident allowed General Ng to claim something as close as Singapore’s Generals don’t get to claim – “real life command.”

When he retired from the SAF, General NG did what no other top civil servant had done before him – he became an entrepreneur. Ironically, his long career in the army had actually prepared him for life beyond wearing the green uniform. His gratuity gave him the start-up capital and he had a strong relationship with the right people to get things going. While General Ng did serve a stint on the boards of some government organisations noteably the Central Provident Fund (“CPF” Board – our main pension fund) and Chartered Industries (Singapore’s version of the Military Industrial Complex), his main post army career was as an entrepreneur. General Ng was the co-founder of Pacific Andes Resources Limited.

The one area where he did not have luck in was his personal health. In 2019 he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which ended his life this year. Interestingly enough, General Ng’s death showed us how lucky he was. He dared to be different from the crowd. His predecessor retired into a cushy diplomat’s job. His successors have all gone onto work in cushy civil service jobs or in the government-controlled version of the private sector. Being different earned him a warm tribute from Singapore’s normally strongly “anti-anybody from the government” online media as the following report from the Onlinecitizen shows:


Knowing how to be lucky in life made him lucky in death too.  

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall