Thursday, May 16, 2019

Business is a team sport - and that's why people matter most



Creating a Fun Environment to Work Drives Success 
Group CEO of Catcha Group
We’re at the  half  way point of 2019 and as I reflect on what we’ve achieved - with iflix, Common Ground, Wild Digital and the rest of our #Catchafamily, I can’t help but to feel a sense of pride at what Catcha has become.
iflix has just recently hit 15 million global subscribers - with an insane 250% growth in only 6 months! Common Ground has been expanding so rapidly it’s hard to keep track of their new locations. In under 24 months, they’ve opened a total of 7 outlets all over Klang Valley and another one in the incredible Philippines.
At Catcha, our work philosophy (or should I say, work-play philosophy) is “Work hard, play hard”.
If there’s one thing I’m dedicated to, it’s building fun workspaces - which is one of the reasons why Catcha is known for our fun offices and parties, and Common Ground is such a successful co-working space. Not just because it’s cooler, but because I believe people love to work where they feel most relaxed and comfortable. Our team represents our belief as a brand - that hustlin’ isn’t a job, it’s our lifestyle. We like to celebrate achievements and successes - as we should - and when we do, we go hard.
Of course, sometimes it may seem that the people of Catcha play more than we work but that’s only because the real hustle is never glorified on media. The times we have worked for months without a break, chasing that next big idea; the 30-hour days we had; the trial and error; and the sheer grit to keep going - that’s what makes us such a great team. But we can only do these things, because we know we’re in it together.
I’m a strong believer that you can only achieve the stars and the moon (or an IPO or two) with the right people in your team. I’ve mentioned this before in an interview with Forbes Asia (read it here) - my management philosophy is to hire the right CEOs and then get out of their way so they can do their best work. These are smart, talented people and I have my full trust in them.
And it’s not just me who has put my bet on them.
Investors not only look at our products and business models when they decide to back us. These people and their “whatever-it-takes” attitude are a big part of why investors love to work with us. You don’t need to have the best business model since day one - you just need the passion and the people to figure it out. The spotlight has always been on me and my successes, but any successful entrepreneur would tell you that the greatest asset of any business is the people, the team, behind it.
The people who work with me will tell you that I’m constantly challenging them to set the bar higher. Because I’ve got a team of incredibly passionate, super-ambitious and remarkably talented people, I know that they will only see their maximum potential when they set seemingly impossible goals for themselves, and yet exceed them. Which is why I continue to drive them to do things bigger, better and faster.
Working with 2000 over staff in 35 countries isn’t easy, but when you have a team like Catcha’s, you’ve got a headstart. What makes me proudest is that as a team, we’ve proven that people from ASEAN are as smart, talented and creative - if not more - than the people of Silicon Valley. It won’t come as a surprise to me if the next mind-blowing innovation comes not only from ASEAN, but from one of our own in the Catcha office. When that happens, it will be the ultimate mark of success for me.

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall