Friday, January 25, 2019

Prima Taberna Mori Meum in Oriente


It’s been a screwed-up week for the Singapore Artillery. Around four days back, a gun technician who was tasked to repair a gun howitzer, ended up getting crushed by the gun howitzer. He was taken to hospital and after four days, he died. All this happened in Waiaru, New Zealand, the place where we lost Ronnie and Yin Tit in that tragic accident all those years ago. The only thing I can say to all of this is “Oh God, not again.”

The emotion is very simple – why? After 22-years, we learnt to accept that what happened to Ronnie and Yin Tit was a horrible cosmic joke, it had to happen to someone else.  

I guess you could say, I’ve made my peace with the incident and the emotions that went with it. I’m sad that I lost a friend, who was the nicest of people. Ronnie, was a sticker for the rules and he was a kind and gentle soul who gave more than he got. He did everything he was supposed to do and his reward was to get cut down just when he was about to bloom. The sadness of his demise has dimmed with the years and because he was such a good person, I do my part in trying to make sure that nobody else gets cut down the way he did in the only way that I know how – the pieces I write about the incident. It’s like throwing stones in a river to save people from drowning – you know your efforts might be futile but you do so because hopefully someone out there might read what I write and also do something to ensure people don’t die the way poor Ronnie and Yin-Tit had to die.

Sadness eventually dims as life moves on. However, the one emotion that often returns is ‘rage.’ I remember only being able to cry properly for a friend who deserved better two months after the fact because I was too angry with the system. As far as I was concern, I didn’t want to give the organization the “face” it was so desperately trying to save in front of the Kiwis. When the Committee of Inspection released its findings and I saw the results of the organization and everyone at large, I got more pissed off. I have a horrible allergy to paper pushers from this incident – these are always the fuckers who sit behind a desk and find a way to push responsibility to the poor shits out in the field.

I’m generally pretty cool about things in general. When I read about these incidents that take place in the SAF, I’m often able to compose my thoughts pretty well. This one is different. I guess it’s because it has hit close to home – artillery and New Zealand – it’s déjà vu again.
To be fair to the powers that be, they’re acting faster than they did 22-years ago. I guess one can be cynical here in as much as they can’t hide because the late gun technician is a local celebrity. However, one needs to look at things objectively.

I credit the Chief of Defense Force for calling a press conference. While none of the speakers were great speakers, they came out and gave the facts from the findings they had conducted. You have to give credit to them for also talking about what they were going to do from there. While the Generals got pilloried online, I have to give them credit for coming out and facing public scrutiny and inevitable public anger. The SAF has done much better than the Ministry of Home Affairs when the man with the limp strolled of prison.

You can see the press conference called by the military at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqjpL47ttQ


From a logical, rational standpoint, we should wait till facts have been revealed. A part of me says, let the facts come out before we judge.

I’ve also made the point that we need to accept that being a soldier is inherently a dangerous job. You are expected to put your life in harm’s way to get the job done. I take my batch as an example. We can get it if our friend died in a combat situation. We can get it that accidents happen and “shit happens.”

I don’t think I would be the only person from my batch to say that what we cannot accept is being killed by our own side. In the aftermath of “Swift Lion,” it was found that something close to 1 in 40 fuzes that we, the guys on the front line were expected to use was faulty. In medical terminology, this was an unacceptable risk to put us through.

What made it made it worse was a Committee of Inquiry telling us that this was because the fuze was made somewhere else. As I have said on social media, the message is received as “We got conned by devious American capitalist using crappy Chinese manufacturing.” – Erm – what happened to checks by our defense procurement guys? Can the people making money from weapon sales actually do the job they’re paid to do so that the guys using the said weapons don’t end up getting killed by their own weapons? Nope, it never occurred to anyone did it? As a “soldier on the field,” how do you accept that fact – oppss, sorry, your guy died but at least the local defence industry gets to make more money from taxes you pay. I don’t get that.

I put something about this on Facebook and an old school friend asked me, “Is there anything to suggest that it wasn’t an accident”

Thus far, the answer would seem to be no. However, in some ways, this incident is worse than the one that took place 22-years ago. While my knowledge of howitzer operations is rusty and it’s a howitzer that I only reviewed from a writer’s perspective rather an operator’s perspective, there are two key things that bother me:

Firstly, this was not an operational exercise but a maintenance accident. Much has been said online about the “lack of safety culture,” in the SAF and how safety gets cut because we’re constantly rushing to make timing – just remember this is not a couple of guys sprinting – its heavy machinery being plonked in uneven terrain in as little time as possible.

However, this wasn’t an operation out in the field where there are pressures to get things done quickly. This was a maintenance exercise where the pressure to “meet timing” wasn’t there. The objective was to diagnose a technical problem and the people involved had time to think clearly.
The there’s the issue of the gun itself. Primus has been in operation for 16-years without a hitch. While a friend of mine did point out that the Primus gunners are in a confined space unlike the towed artillery gunners, it would technically be impossible for the barrel to have swung at such a pace that he could get crushed.  The hydraulics of the barrel movement are such that the operator lowering the barrel would have enough control to prevent anything nasty happening. That is unless there was such a major fault that there was a total loss of control in the operation or worse.

Something doesn’t feel quite right here and I am just baffled how this incident could happen if everything was followed correctly or if the machinery was in reasonable condition. I pray that this is a freak accident and nothing more than that.

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall