Wednesday, November 07, 2018

The Nature of Wealth as Expressed by Vagabond.


I am hardly wealthy. I admit to the fact that I’m often struggling to find my next meal and now that the Evil Teen has become an adult, it’s been a challenge to make the pennies stretch.

However, while I’ve not made money, I’ve had my successes and I attribute my successes to the privilege of being known by successful people (I work on the adage that it’s the people who know me that count rather than the people I know – because I know everybody). I’ve often mentioned that I’ve had the good fortune to be guided by the likes of PN Balji, former CEO and founding Editor of the Today newspaper and I’ve also had the good fortune to work with the likes of former Saudi Ambassador to Singapore, Dr. Amin Kurdi and Girija Pande, former Asia-Pacific CEO of Tata Consultancy Services, who once told me, “Just make it happen, you’re as good as any of us.” (He was referring to a host of Indian Institutes of Management Alumni who happened to have exceedingly successful careers.)

So, while I am by no means wealthy and I do not have a “career” in the conventional success, I can be deemed successful in as much as successful people have been willing to associate with me. Success, as they say is contagious. In every study of wealth and the wealthy, one common feature stands out – successful people inevitably hang out with people who are equally so. Think of today’s great genuine friendship between Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, who come from different generations and very different industries (Buffet famously did not invest in technology companies during the dot com boom of the early 2000s, while Gates built the technology industry making software rather than hardware the focus.) Li-Ka Shing, Hong Kong’s famous “Superman” and for many years, the richest person of Chinese descent, advised the up and coming to spend money on lunch with someone more successful.

A while back, I once tried to list down the wealthiest person I knew of every ethnic group to see if I could gain a greater insight into what makes people of a certain wealth level what they are and whether there were any particular industries that were good for making fortunes.
While, I can’t come up with any ground-breaking theories that haven’t been bandied about before, I think one of the greatest factors is the willingness to try new things and new places and to do things differently. The examples I have are as follows:

Hans Hofer, the founder of Insight Guides. Mr. Hofer left Germany in the 60s and moved to Bali. He fell in love with the island and felt the urge to share the beauty of the island with the world. He convinced the General Manager of the Intercontinental Hotel to back him up in producing a guide book with coloured photos, something which until then didn’t exist. Insight Guides grew into a publishing empire turning over some S$25 million a year and then Mr. Hofer was bought out by Langenscheidt KG.

Mr. Hofer’s story is remarkable in the sense that it combines the concept of being far away from home but also being close to home. The place that gave him the seed for his money was Bali, many miles away from his native Germany. Mr. Hofer’s success was built entirely in Asia.
Yet, at the same time, Mr. Hofer has never forgotten the German community. I got to know this when I asked him who gave him his first break. He made the point that the General Manager of the Intercontinental was a German. You could say, the take away from Mr. Hofer’s story is that you should be willing to travel the world and seek adventure beyond your home shores but never forget your people so to speak.

I also think of Patrick Grove, the CEO of Catha Group. Mr. Grove, who is one year my junior, went to work at Arthur Anderson in their corporate finance division. He’s said that he needed to assure his parents that he would get a proper job for at least two-years. Once that two-year period ended, Mr. Grove went out, searching for bright ideas he could bring to this part of the world and the success of Catha Group is based on the diversity of industries like selling cars, selling entertainment and classified.

The take away from Mr. Grove would be thus – don’t be a prisoner of your professional background or education. Use the skills you learn from those experiences but don’t be afraid to look at other areas and how you can do something in areas that aren’t officially yours.

The other story that’s worth mentioning is that of Arun Jain, the founder of Intellect Design Arena Limited, and former Chairman of Polaris Consulting, a company which he eventually sold to Virtusa Limited. Mr. Jain had the good fortune to get a “US” Green card, where he could have worked as one of the many middle-class Indians who have benefited from the outsourcing bug that many companies caught in the 1990s. Yet, Mr. Jain decided that he could build something out of India and gave up the prized Green Card. One of Mr. Jain’s founding employees told me, “that man could dream and he could get things done.” Instead of talking about trying to pay the mortgage and other middle-class worries, Mr. Jain has the pleasure of focusing on how to bring technology to benefit the masses, all because he was able to break out of the common mold that working in the USA as a programmer would be his path to success, which is what the Indian IT industry has been based on.

Not everyone with the entrepreneurial bug is successful but as the three men I’ve mentioned earlier show, setting your mind free can be a liberating and even financially rewarding experience.


No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall