Monday, February 12, 2018

From Special Forces Warrior to Successful Businessman

I wanted adventure, so I joined the US Special Forces - Little Did I Know it would Train me for an Adventure in Business 

Managing Partner of DTNVenture Partners and Former Green Beret Medical Sergeant  

From the age of ten years of age I had a desire to become a ‘Green Beret’ watching the John Wayne movie of the same name over and over again. My uncle who I adored also had served as one in Vietnam being wounded on two separate occasions. So during my senior year in high School I signed up to join a Special Forces reserve unit in my home State of Ohio. At the time the only slot available was ‘Parachute Rigger’ I didn’t care I was in!

That summer I attended basic training after which I began my freshman year at Ohio University. I was scheduled to attend Airborne School over winter break and that fall I trained with a vengeance. I was also pledging Beta Theta Pi which added another element of excitement to that fall quarter. Airborne School was the adventure of a lifetime. I loved the long runs, the adrenalin and the Esprit that I was first beginning to see and understand. After graduating that winter class I headed back to school and over the course of several years I attended as many schools as I could to include Rigger, Jumpmaster, SERE and finally Special Forces Medical Sergeant 18 Delta Q course. Oddly it was Rigger school where I first had my interaction with other members of SOCOM as there were SEAL team and Force Recon members in attendance and we created a common bond.

At the time I was really checking the boxes as I had plans, post-college and in 1990 there was not much going on i.e. globally. That summer I was accepted to Graduate School in Belgium. I had just started school when I received orders that were actually faxed to me for Desert shield/Desert Storm. For me it was the adventure of a lifetime, so I boarded a train and headed for Germany and 10th Special Forces Group. Our mission was to support the Kurds and I loved every minute of it.  The war and mission were over in six short months and to be honest I have never seen the intensity or made the sacrifices that my brothers have made.

That being said the entire experience taught some very important concepts vis-à-vis business.

  • ·       Keep focused on the mission/summit, you may need to alter the route and approach but do not lose sight of the summit
  • ·       The right team is critical, my biggest mistake was believing that all individuals had the drive and passion of those in Special Forces, they do not!
  • ·       Failure is part of life, the question is what do we learn from failure and how quickly do we get back up
  • ·       Creating a new venture is not a sprint, it is a long hard slog and anyone that tells you otherwise is full of BS
  • ·       Quitting is not an option, and that there is a big difference between quitting and failing! 
















No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall