Monday, January 15, 2018

The Things That Matter

Had a funny experience yesterday when I took a taxi. The taxi driver kept telling me how familiar I looked and I didn’t think much of it until he asked, “Are you from the Picture Farm (Dad’s Production House.)” It was then that I clicked, he was talking about my Dad, even if he had no idea who I was.

I used to get that a bit, especially when I worked in advertising. In fact, I got one of my best jobs (a small creative powerhouse called 10AM) from my Dad. Helps that the Old Man and I look very similar and to a certain extent we sound very similar.

My Dad has always been a special person. He’s done exceedingly well from his talents and his work as a photographer and advertising film director is still talked about even today. While, he hasn’t worked the way he has in his heyday, he’s doing well enough. An example of his work can be found at:


and the credits can be found at:


You could say that as a son of a successful father, life was always interesting. As a kid, everyone told me I was lucky to have him as a dad, even though I was living overseas most of the time. As I grew older and wasn’t make it in a similar industry to him …..well, life did get a little interesting
.
However, I’ve always been proud of my Dad and the work that he’s produced. My Dad came from humble beginnings and made it big as a local boy in a one-man show in an industry where someone from outside is always seen as more upmarket. Having gone through my own struggles, I have a lot of pride in the old man for doing what he did.

I don’t his achievements but I felt really proud of him when the guy told me, “Your Dad is a man of principles.” For some strange reason, being the son of a man with principles meant so much more to me than being the son a well to do businessman or a top artist.

I guess, I’ve learnt that life is filled with geniuses at this and that but it has very few men of principle and very few men who make it a point of take care of the little people. It also helps that my father doesn’t make a big deal about his “character.” It’s more my mother who talks about principles and integrity (Mum’s Dad being a civil servant who was known for being absolutely incorruptible.)

So, it suddenly made me feel really happy that I was the Son of Man of Principle. It was like a title or potential inheritance that was worth having and fighting over. So, I got say thanks to him for being a man of principle.


Wonder what my kid will want strangers to say about me? 

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall