Friday, August 23, 2024

Looking Prosperous Isn’t Wealthy

 In one of his greatest efforts to annoy me, the Padwan, who is a good-looking boy (he’s got that type of Asian clean-cut look that excites sad old ladies and gays), once told me that his ambition was to have a pot belly. It was something that really p***ed me off because that whatever he did, he had to keep his youthful good looks for as long as possible.

Today, I noticed a Facebook post of another friend. This lady proceeded to show off all the food that she was served at various conferences she attended and aimed it at people who she accused of gossiping about her being obese.

Why would a handsome young man aim to get pot belly? Why would a woman show all the food she had and aim it at people whom she accused of gossiping about her? The answer is simple, rich, particularly in the Chinese context equals rich. The hall part of a successful Chinese Tycoon is a pot belly. It’s called the “prosperous” look.

 


 To be fair to Asian culture, its not the only culture that equates fat with prosperity. There are tribes in Africa that put their girls aside and feed them milk before marriage for the sole purpose of fattening them up. Gout, a condition that I have, was once known as the “rich man’s” disease. – a term coined in the West.

Well, I am far from rich. Probably going to have to work till the day I die. I am the owner of a pot belly, which I’ve been told used to be larger. The experience of owning a pot belly is vastly overrated.

I have a soft spot for cuddly people. If I think of the ladies in my life who have lasted the longest, it’s the cute and cuddly ones, even if I am into “Sexy” with a capital S. However, while I love hugging my cuddly friends, I don’t really want to be fat.

Fat was my mother describing me as “Gross Looking.” Fat was snoring so much that when you went on holiday and shared a room with your baby bro, he needed ear plugs to sleep properly. Fat was not being able to get off the ground. My father, who loves all appearances of being young, started to feel really bothered when people started asking if I was his brother

I’m technically still obese (BMI of 28-29). However, I’m moving a little bit more these days and spreading my eating windows. I limit my carbohydrate intake (staying off white rice in Asia?) and yes, my tummy is still there and I am very careful about how I place my head during photos cause the folds in my neck are pretty obvious. Nobody is mistaking me as a teenager.

However, as the Neurotic Angel observed “you can jump.” I guess it was a compliment but I thought it was a little strange. It never occurred to me that there would be a reason for me not to be able to jump or move around. However, I guess I’ve reached that age where most people try not to. So, whilst I probably work till the day I die, I should consider it a form of wealth that I can still move around with some ease.  

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall