Friday, December 20, 2019

God from the Gutter

In a few days, we will be celebrating, Christmas, the birthday of Jesus of Nazareth, who is the historic founder of Christianity. Of all the festivals in the world, Christmas has long since outgrown its religious origins and is perhaps the most universal of all festivals, celebrated throughout the world. One of my greatest Facebook postings is that of Buddhist monks wearing Santa hats in celebration of the festival.
I don’t really celebrate Christmas, unless I’m in Germany with my mother. However, that does not mean that I don’t appreciate its significance – which is the fact that we’re celebrating the birth of God from the Gutter.

Jesus was perhaps the first “God” in human history, who came from the gutter. Although we’ve attributed glory to him for the last two thousand years, his entire life story, was about suffering and misery. We are, as they say, talking about a man who was born with the animals in the stable.

Anyone who has ever read the Gospels, will see very see very clearly that Jesus stood with the poor and the downtrodden. He’s interest was never in one’s material possessions he made it clear that the only way to follow him was pick up the cross (crucifixion being an exceedingly painful way of death). Unlike Buddha, who was a prince and Mohammad who was a businessman, there is no record of Jesus enjoying any luxury nor did he engage in anything that might give him any form of profit. God, as Jesus taught us, lived in the gutter with the downtrodden.

It’s worth remembering that Jesus was God from the gutter, especially in this day and age where the poor and downtrodden have shown themselves willing to throw “political Molotov cocktails” at the system. Donald Trump, who brags about how rich he is, was brought to power by a group that felt disenfranchised and downtrodden.

The downtrodden have always been with us. In many cases, there are people amongst the poor and needy who actually deserve to be where they are. I think of my so called “poor” friends who have begged me for a few dollars to take the bus to work because they’ve spent what they had on smokes and drink. There are people who would bitch and moan about how unfair life is and get drunk over it but they are not willing to take a simply job because it’s beneath them.

Yet, having said that, Jesus did have a point. Those of us who have “made it,” were blessed in more ways that we realise. I, for example, am not rich or even well to do by any means, but I’ve been really blessed. I’ve never gone hungry or have I been truly homeless. While I’ve never had a big salary, I’ve had the good fortune of having done interesting things. I live in a place where there’s basic law and order and safety. These things may seem small but they actually make a lot of difference to one’s life and you are, as they say, lucky you were born where you were born.

These blessings had to come from somewhere and I’ve found that you get back when you look after the downtrodden. I remember giving five bucks to an old man who was hungry and helpless. Turned out, it was a very good investment. That very evening, I got a night gig and previous clients started to entertain me again. If there is a God out there, he finds a way of paying back those who show mercy and compassion to the less fortunate

Jesus was a God from the Gutter. He taught us that divine glory was often found in the worst of places. This man, who wasn’t even able to be born with humans, ended up giving glory to millions. He was right – God is with those from the Gutter.

No comments

© BeautifullyIncoherent
Maira Gall